Monday, February 2, 2009

Dear Mylie,


Exactly one year ago today I was getting ready to go to the hospital to deliver you. I was scared to death because I would be delivering you Cesarean. You were due January 28th but like all delivery dates it's just an estimate. I had a doctors appointment a few days after your due date and found out that you had turned breech. This meant that a normal delivery wouldn't be an option. So, there I lay in the hospital bed waiting for your planned birth on February 2nd, 2008. Everything about the experience was frightening. The cold room, tying my arms down, the doctors covered from head to toe in blue/green suits, the blood tests to see if I was able to have a spinal. The hardest part was having to be separated from your Dad while I was given the spinal and prepped for surgery. When he returned I was able to breath again. He was my strength throughout the procedure. The moment they cut into my stomach your little hand popped through. The doctors told me that because you decided to do that it made the process of getting you out all that much harder.

Once they finally got you out I didn't get to see you until they cleaned you up, weighed you and made sure that you were healthy. It was almost agonizing to not be able to see you. All I could do was hear you crying. When they finally showed you to me I only got to take a brief glimpse as they put you to my face and then walked you out of the room. Your Dad went with you and got to spend the first few hours with you while I was taken to a recovery room. Slipping in and out of consciousness I recall thinking about you and remembering your little face. After two agonizing hours I was taken to my room and the nurse sent for you and Dad. When they brought you in and I got to hold you and see you I was finally at peace. I held your tiny little body in my arms and knew that you were mine and I instantly fell in love.

This last year has been interesting. Your first few months of life had been a little difficult. You cried a lot. I believe that you may have been slightly colicky for a few months. After those months passed you had immediately transformed into the perfect, sweet, happy little baby. You have brought much happiness into my life and your Dad's life. I am so glad that you are my daughter and look forward to watching you grow and develop your sweet little personality. Just last week you took your first steps. I am not anxious for you to grow up too quickly but I am excited to be here with you and for you as you experience all the new things that your little body can do. I can't wait to hear you talk, see you walk and watch you play. Always know that we love you. Happy 1st Birthday my sweet little Mylie!

Love Always,
Mom

9 comments:

Darci said...

Such a great story, I would have been so scared had they given me the spinal with out Brett there, why didn't they let Kelly stay???

Happy Birthday Mylie! I love the new family photo, such a great one.

The ZamFam said...

Happy Birthday Mylie!!!!! We love you big girl!!!! I can't believe you are 1 already!!!!! Have a fun day!

Unknown said...

I forgot she was born the same day at Tyler. Awesome!

Gene and Susie said...

To our darling Mylie. You have a very wonderful Mommy - and Daddy, too. Happy first birthday, precious baby. We love you!! ~ Grandpa and Nani

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday Mylie! What an awesome post Nicole! It's something that years and years from now I know Mylie will be so thrilled to read. I love the family picture!

Nunazuna said...

That was so very special Nicole. I hope that you will print it out so that you can give it to Mylie when she's older. Now that she's finally a year old, I guess this means you guys can start trying again! I love your family picture! So Cute!!!!

Jennefer said...

Happy Birthday to Mylie! I am amazed that it's been a year... where did that time go! What a beautiful post...you are a great writer Nicole. Love the family picture...you all look so great!

Jodie said...

Where does time go? Happy Birthday sweet Mylie! We love you.

Danielle said...

oh she is precious! love her sweet smile!