Sunday, August 23, 2009

Legend of the Ghoulies

So, what do you do when you have a child that refuses to listen and you have tried all of the conventional forms of discipline ie: time out, yelling...? Well, you create a fictional character called a ghoulie and if they don't listen they will come and pinch them. Okay, we have probably traumatized our children for life but it works for us. Actually, this all came about quite by accident. Kelly was changing channels and stopped momentarily on the old Ghoulies movie (corny and lame 1985 "horror" film). Kora took one look and came screaming upstairs where I was. Ever since it has become a threat. Although, I don't know how you can truely threaten when you are laughing because it's too silly to really threaten with. But laughing or not it works.

Ghoulies have been known to take kids toys at night if they don't get put away. They have also been known to come and pinch you if you don't listen. Kelly and I have been in contact with them quite often over the phone when the kids don't listen and sometimes they wait outside on our patio and wait while the kids eat their dinner. If it's not all eaten then they will get pinched by a ghoulie. Ghoulies have one downfall, they are terrified of dogs. It's a good thing we have one and even more lucky for the kids that Carson sleeps in the kids room at night to protect them....but doesn't always protect their toys. If anything happens in the house it's surely a Ghoulie up to no good again.

Yes, this all sounds ridiculous but why is it that if me as "Mom" asks my Kora to do ANYTHING she just sits there and looks at me as if I hadn't said a word? Yet, mention the ghoulies are coming if she doesn't listen and she runs around cleaning her room or eats her dinner? You've got me! So, if my kids ever ask you about Ghoulies you will know what they are talking about and can maybe even embellish if you want...but Ghoulies never hurt kids, they only pinch!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's so funny! I need the Ghoulies to come to my house especially for Logan.

Gene and Susie said...

Kelly only need fear his Dad - we never had to scare them with Ghoulies. Ghoulies wopuld have been better!!!!

B Kerr Fam said...

"Head for the hills momma!"

Amanda said...

Hey, if it works, I say use it! Right now for Peyton counting to 3 and if she doesn't listen, getting a pinch, works. She usually listens before I get to 2 now, but it might change in the future and I'll need to use the ghoulies!